By: Estela Schnelle, Registered Dietitian for Produce for Kids
Coming up with creative and clever lunch ideas can be a challenge. Even more challenging is thinking of creative ways to add fruits and vegetables that our kids will actually eat. Below are 10 quick and easy ideas for incorporating fruits and veggies into your daily lunch routine.
- Mini Bell Peppers & Hummus: Mini sweet bell peppers are a new favorite in our house. These can be packed with individual containers of hummus.
- Homemade trail mix with dried fruit, nuts & Cheerios: Take your child to the grocery store with you and have them pick out a few dried fruits and nuts of their choice. Combine them with a whole grain cereal for a quick and easy trail mix. I also love this Pistachip-Chip Trail Mix
- All natural, no sugar added applesauce with graham crackers: We like to buy either the applesauce cups or squeezers and my daughter likes to dip graham crackers in the applesauce.
- Apple slices with peanut butter: To keep the apple slices from browning, we squeeze a little lemon juice over them and pack the nut butter in a separate container. Try the Mix-n-Match Peanut Butter Dip for a new alternative to peanut butter!
- Carrot & Celery Sticks: Pair with a small container of light Ranch dressing for dipping. Try the Sweet & Savory Poppers to add more fruits and veggies!
- Pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, zucchini and feta: This is a perfect lunch including the key food groups! Try the Zesty Pasta Salad or Packable Caesar Pasta Salad for a fun, veggie packed pasta dish.
- Strawberry & Cheddar Cheese Kabob: Using a kabob stick, alternate fresh strawberries and cheddar cheese cubes.
- Cashews & Kiwi: Peel and slice fresh kiwi. Pack with ¼ cup cashews.
- Graham Cracker Sandwiches with Sliced Banana & Peanut Butter: Kids love these little sandwiches. Or, try the PB Fruit Roll-up as a way to include different fruit!
- Homemade Fruit Roll Ups: We love these Fruity Fun Rolls Ups as a sweet lunchbox treat.
Take the to pack healthier lunchboxes this school year and get kid-friendly lunchbox ideas, easy tips and coupons. A donation will be made to support classroom projects on DonorsChoose.org for every pledge taken. And don’t forget to show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram or Twitter using #PowerYourLunchbox for the chance to win prizes!